KadInvest 2017 - Making Kaduna the Investment Destination of ChoiceThe Kaduna Economic and Investment Summit, 5-6 April 2017
KadInvest is the platform for demonstrating that Kaduna State is open for business. The state has demonstrated firm commitment to achieving sustainable economic growth by legislating to make it easier to do business, and aligning its budget to capital expenditure to build human capital and infrastructure. Kaduna believes that private investment is the best vehicle for job creation, and is eager to bring together the private sector, international development partners and development finance institutions to identify opportunities in the state and take the investment initiatives that create growth.
Kaduna State understands the critical significance of mobilizing domestic and international financial resources, leveraging international trade, and increasing international development cooperation in achieving sustainable development goals.
KadInvest 2017 is an avenue for investors and donors to interact with top Government Officials and Executives in the state, with the view to ensuring that investor/donor funds are targeted to the most viable priority sectors and ultimately have the desired impact of job creation and social development in real terms. Through the unveiling of the Ease of Doing Business Charter, the summit will highlight the innovative approaches such as, process mapping and digitization that the state is employing to attract and keep high value investments. In addition, the summit will be an avenue to showcase for the benefit of potential investors; completed and ongoing projects in priority sectors that are geared towards sustainable job and wealth creation & measurable social and environmental impact. Key components of the summit discussions will include:
- The identification of viable investments that meet both Financial and Social/Environmental Impacts
- Finding and benefiting from Innovative Funds and Deal Structures
- Understanding what criteria makes an enterprise “Social”
- Strengthening the linkages Between Social Enterprises, Entrepreneurs, Investors and Innovation Networks
- Creating a clear regulatory framework
- Introduction of environmental and socially responsible Industrial Zones: Green Economic Zone (GEZ) and Green Agro-Allied Industrial Zone (GAAIZ)
The summit will showcase the state’s adoption of the new way of doing business in Kaduna State and serve as a forum for peer review and exchange of ideas. With a team that harnesses the power of the capital market and the political will of this administration to execute and complete projects, it is expected that investors will gain the confidence and commitment that will result in high value investments in key sectors of the state.
Justification for Summit
- Impact investment is mushrooming everywhere with all-round rewards
- Kaduna will put companies with huge impact potential in direct contact with a lineup of expert speakers, thought provoking topics and authoritative partners
- The summit will showcase growing global impact investment in the areas of commercial agriculture, mining, mass housing and infrastructure development.
Purpose & Objectives
The main objective of the summit is to showcase the state’s most promising opportunities with the ability to create sustainable jobs, maximize investor/donor funds while engineering wealth creation and social change for residents of Kaduna State. Furthermore, the event aims to strengthen Kaduna’s position as the “go to” location for impact investing.
In particular, the summit has the following objectives:
- Providing a platform where the impact investment community can share ideas, connect and network.
- Showcasing case studies, guides, information and all tools required for successful impact investing.
- Positioning the State as the lead “go to” location in developing an Impact Investing market in Nigeria
- Creating new opportunities for developing the market and creating new opportunities for impact investing.
- Highlight the key sectors at the fore front of the state’s economic policy and identify areas where support/investment is required.
- Commercial Agriculture: Olam, Tomato Jos, Flour Mills Plc., Pulses
- Agro-Allied Industries: GAAIZ, KADPMC
- Mining: UBC, Artisanal Mining, Dimension Stones
- Manufacturing: Green Economic Zone, Mahindra Tractor Assembly Plant, CAFBoard Factory
- ICT: BPO, KADICT
- Hospitality: Shelter Suites, Sheraton
- Human Capital Development: KADSTEP, KADEEEA, KADAT, KIFAC
- Transport: Bus Mass Transit, Rail Mass Transit, PAN 2
- Power: Solar- Greenwich, Anjeed, En Consulting, Genesis/Jumpur & Access Power
- Housing: 30 Private Developers for Affordable Housing Scheme
The conference is targeting international and local publicly quoted companies and major employers of labour with a capacity to inject billions of Naira in the state’s economy. It is expected that the summit alone will accelerate at least 5 large investment pipelines and actualize at least 3 existing pipelines.
Focused on providing investors with knowledge, insights, and resources, the summit will address key financial topics, impact investment strategies, and perspectives on the state’s economy. Participants will have the opportunity to engage with MDAs through keynote presentations, breakout sessions, and round-table discussions.
The expected outcomes of the summit include:
- Heightened commitment and actions to expedite the implementation of the Framework and Guidelines for investments in Kaduna State;
- Adoption of actions for high level engagement on implementation of priority sector projects
- Providing an opportunity for participants to experience a blend of visionary keynote presentations, panel discussions that will allow everyone to gain an insight into the impact investment processes including strategy, design, implementation and impact measurement.
Acute awareness of Kaduna State as the go-to destination for long term impact investing and real commitment to doing business in Kaduna State
KadInvest 2017 will be hosted by Malam Nasir El-Rufai, Governor of Kaduna State, who will unveil the state’s Economic Agenda and Development Plan during the summit.
The summit is organized by the recently established Kaduna State Investment Promotion Agency – KADIPA. The mandate of KADIPA is to lead and coordinate all investment promotion activities undertaken by the State and to be the prime negotiator in finalizing deals with private sector investors on behalf of the State.
Working with key MDAs and related bodies, the agency will provide a one stop service for large investors, including provision of information about investment opportunities, support for accessing land, local suppliers and other essential inputs and support for the bureaucratic steps involved in launching a successful business in Nigeria
The Nigerian Investment Promotion Council (NIPC) and the Nigerian Economic Summit Group (NESG) are co-hosts of the summit.
The Summit will run for three days beginning on 5th April, 2017 with an opening ceremony and the unveiling of the Ease of Doing Business Charter. Insightful speeches will be given by prominent business to kick off the summit and set the tone for the subsequent plenary sessions. Following this, the summit will continue with breakout sessions focused on targeted areas to enable investors engage in in-depth discussions related to the sub-themes. The first day will conclude with a Gala Night.
The next day will begin with a closed group breakfast round table with the Governor. Following which, another series of plenary and breakout sessions will ensue along with a tour with the Governor and commissioning of completed projects (ICT Hub, Olam, Housing, Neighborhood Centres, Parks and Recreation Centres). On the third and final day, participants will be taken ona more strategic tour to showcase priority sectors for potential investment. A closing event will be held at the end of the tour.
Plenary sessions will comprise expert deliberations and presentations from Organizations/MDAs related to those sectors providing information on investment opportunities in those sectors.
Investors that have signed up to Kaduna
- UPDC: Investing in and Building an Ultra-Modern Mall
- Olam: Poultry
- Dangote: Tomato/ PAN Acquisition
- Flour Mills: Maize and Wheat
- Stallion: Rice
- Indorama: Organic Fertilizer
- Rapidacc: Mass Housing
- Hydraform: Mass Housing
- DraperDark Flow: ICT Hub
- Coders4Africa: ICT Hub
- Schneider Electric: Energy Academy